Monday 14 March 2011

Greetings Cards and Happy Birthday Tags

Today I listed these new greetings cards in my Folksy shop. They’re part of a series of small paintings I’ve designed that feature a little white bird: this one is called Little White Bird - Red Flower (previous post). This painting was made using acrylics on watercolour paper and finished using pastels to give it a soft feel. The white stem on the flower was made by actually scratching through the paint to reveal the white paper underneath.

Just as I was about to upload the image though I realized the photo background was looking decidedly yellow (it was sunny on the day of the shoot!) So I thought I’d have a go at making the background completely white around the object for this image (using Fireworks). I’ve never done this before so it was a bit fiddly to do: and I’m not entirely sure if it feels too white now! I certainly don’t have time to do this on all my photos – I take too many! And I suspect that a picture of a pot edited like this will make it seem like it’s hovering in space and a bit lifeless and flat – so I probably won’t be doing this too often. But it was an interesting exercise…


Anyway, the other thing I wanted to mention was these new Happy Birthday tags I listed in my Folksy shop yesterday. You might remember I talked about my letterpress in a previous post. Well finally I thought I’d show you the results of using my letters in a finished piece. These tags are perfect as little gift tokens or to add to gift-wrapping as a special feature. They measure about 35mm across and are strung on a pale blue ribbon with a drop of about 10cm. I thought they might be something a bit different for people to give – and I think they’re quite sweet really! (Click on pics to go to the listings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment